Fire EMS College Success
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides broad overview of college and life success strategies related to the fire, emergency medical services, and academic fields.
Course learning outcomes
1. Apply effective study behaviors and strategies that lead to academic success.
2. Recognize the process of exploring personal qualities and behaviors and the relationship to the fire and emergency medical services occupations.
3. Explain the importance of working effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
4. Develop a sustainable budget based on financial planning and financial aid resources.
5. Develop strategies for maintaining balance, managing stress, improving personal health and wellness, and the impact they have on college success and fire and emergency medical services as a career.
- Course overview
- Fire and emergency medical services (EMS) as a career
- College culture and expectations in fire and EMS programs
- Roles of fire and EMS personnel
- Knowing yourself as a learner
- Goal setting
- Planning your academic pathways
- Managing your time and priorities
- Reading, note taking, studying, memory and test taking
- Thinking and communicating
- Employing interdependence
- Understanding civility and cultural competence
- Gaining self-awareness
- Developing emotional intelligence
- Emotional intelligence as it pertains to a career in fire and EMS
- Health and wellness
- Health and wellness as it pertains to a career in fire and EMS
- Finance and budgeting
- Final assignment and college success survey
Textbook is required.