Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
FIRE 104 and FIRE 105.
Introduces the modern legal system with emphasis on cases related to fire service. Reviews case law affecting modern fire service agencies and explores laws relating to medical treatment of patients, fire protection, codes, emergency response, and department activities on the fire ground. FESHE non-core requirement equivalent to NFA C0270.
Course learning outcomes
1. Define and discuss federal, state, and local laws and liabilities applicable to emergency services.
2. Explain the purpose of national codes and standards.
3. Discuss applicable court decisions that have influenced emergency services.
4. Articulate the legal issues and concerns affecting emergency services.
The course learning outcomes are those of the National Fire Academy (NFA).
- Legal system of the United States
- Civil versus criminal
- Tort liability
- Judicial system
- Federal laws and the fire service
- Employee relations
- Fire prevention and fire codes
- Mutual aid
- Hazardous materials
- At-will doctrine
All materials are provided to the student.