Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
FIRE 101 and FIRE 102.
Introduces the modern legal system with emphasis on cases related to fire service. Reviews case law affecting modern fire service agencies and explores laws relating to medical treatment of patients, fire protection, codes, emergency response and department activities on the fire ground. This course is a FESHE non-core requirement and is equivalent to NFA C0270.
The following learning outcomes are those of the National Fire Academy (NFA).
1. Define and discuss federal, state, and local laws and liabilities applicable to emergency services.
2. Explain the purpose of national codes and standards.
3. Discuss applicable court decisions that have influenced emergency services.
4. Articulate the legal issues and concerns affecting emergency services.
• Legal System of the United States
• Civil Versus Criminal
• Tort Liability
• Judicial System
• Federal Laws and the Fire Service
• Employee Relations
• Fire Prevention and Fire Codes
• Mutual Aid
• Hazardous Materials
• Volunteers/Contracts A. At-will Doctrine
All materials are provided to the student.
Students are assessed by their case reviews, quizzes, assignments and final exam.