Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Explores techniques and applications of specialized rescue practices in modern fire service. Addresses specialized techniques used in vehicle rescue, steep-angle rescue, swift-water rescue and basic overviews of ice rescue, electrical rescue and trench rescue. Incorporates field exercises to practice techniques and tool use. Combine with Emergency Medical Technician-Basic training to integrate fire and EMS skills for emergency rescue.
The following learning outcomes are those of the Department of Public Safety Standards Training (DPSST).
1. Identify the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training requirements as presented in class.
2. Identify the need for action plans and policies to conduct a hazard analysis or a technical rescue.
3. Identify the NFPA recognized levels of operational capability at technical rescue incidents.
4. Identify general necessary elements to afford safety at technical rescue incidents.
5. Identify the general principles for confined space, structural collapse, rope rescue, vehicle and machinery rescue, water rescue, and other special rescue situations.
6. Work in a team at a technical rescue incident.
• Fireground Search and Rescue
• Intro to Fire Service Search and Rescue
• Rope Rescue
• Vehicle and Machinery Rescue
• Confined Space Search and Rescue
• Water and Ice Search and Rescue
• Elevator and Machinery Rescue
• Confined Space
• DCSO SAR Wilderness Search and Rescue
All materials are provided to the student.
Students are assessed by quizzes, assignments, group exercises, scenarios, hands-on skills, simulations and exams.