S-131, Firefighter Type I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1) training. Topics include operational leadership, communications, LCES, and tactical decision-making. Includes class discussion and tactical decision games designed to facilitate learning. This course is an NWCG S-131 Certified course and students must be qualified as a Wildland Firefighter Type II (FFT2) per NWCG to take this course.
The following learning outcomes are those of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG).
1. Identify position responsibilities and demonstrate the ability to apply principles of Operational Leadership found in the Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG: PMS 461).
2. Describe how to incorporate and maintain open lines of communication with appropriate personnel, and identify documentation responsibilities.
3. Identify Look Up, Down and Around indicators and demonstrate the ability to apply the components of Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, and Safety Zones (LCES) as described in the IRPG.
4. Demonstrate the ability to apply tactical decision making procedures.
• Position Responsibilities
• Lookouts, Communications, Escape routes, and Safety Zones
• Look Up, Look Down and Around
• Decision Making
All materials are provided to the student.
Students are assessed by exercises, quizzes, simulations and a final exam.