S-236 Heavy Equipment Boss
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
FIRE 230 and FIRE 290.
Trains for the role of heavy equipment boss on an incident as outlined in the PMS 310-1 and the Position Task Book developed for the position. Primary considerations are tactical use and safety precautions required to establish and maintain an effective dozer operation. This is an NWCG certified course and students are required to be qualified as firefighter type 1 (FFT1) and have successfully completed S-230.
The following learning outcomes are those of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG).
1. Identify the administrative duties and procedures required of a HEQB.
2. Identify and demonstrate the heavy equipment inspection process and related duties of the HEQB.
3. Demonstrate the actions required of a heavy equipment boss to safely and effectively complete an assignment.
4. Discuss relevant information and methods for communication and tactics related to heavy equipment.
5. Identify the process of preparing for an all hazard assignment.
• Equipment Identification
• Equipment Inspection
• Field Exercise
• Briefings and Tactics
• All Hazard Assignments
All materials are provided to students.
Students are assessed by exercises, quizzes and final exam.