S-236 Heavy Equipment Boss
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
FIRE 230 and FIRE 290.
Trains for the role of heavy equipment boss on an incident as outlined in the PMS 310-1 and the Position Task Book developed for the position. Primary considerations are tactical use and safety precautions required to establish and maintain an effective dozer operation. This is an NWCG certified course and students are required to be qualified as firefighter type 1 (FFT1) and have successfully completed S-230.
Course learning outcomes
1. Identify the administrative duties and procedures required of a heavy equipment boss.
2. Identify and demonstrate the heavy equipment inspection process and related duties of the heavy equipment boss.
3. Demonstrate the actions required of a heavy equipment boss to safely and effectively complete an assignment.
4. Discuss relevant information and methods for communication and tactics related to heavy equipment.
5. Identify the process of preparing for an all hazard assignment.
The course learning outcomes are those of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG).
- Equipment Identification
- Equipment Inspection
- Field Exercise
- Briefings and Tactics
- All Hazard Assignments
All materials are provided to students.