Pass/No Pass grades
Contact hours total
Training course designed as a self-assessment opportunity for individuals preparing to step into a leadership role. There is one day of classroom instruction followed by a day in the field with small teams of students working through a series of problem-solving events (Field Leadership Assessment Course). Topic areas include: leadership values and principles; transition challenges for new leaders; situational leadership; team cohesion factors; ethical decision making, and after action review techniques. This is an NWCG certified course. P/NP grading.
The following learning outcomes are those of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG).
1. Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental leadership principles.
2. Assess their individual traits and motivation for entering into a leadership role.
• The Art of Leadership
• Foundations of Leadership
• Follower to leader - the transition
• Situational Leadership
• Team Cohesion
• Ethical Decisions
• Leadership in Action - the After Action Review
• Putting it in Practice
• Field Leadership Assessment Course (FLAC)
All materials are provided to the student.
Students are assessed by scenarios, exercises and a final field assessment (FLAC).