Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
In-depth introduction to the science of nutrition, stressing characteristics of nutrients and their food sources. Examines digestion, absorption and metabolism of nutrients. Includes individualized diet analysis and current-interest topics including weight management and some disease therapies. Emphasis is placed on use of scientific research criteria for evaluation of current nutrition articles.
1. Be able to work constructively in groups/pairs.
2. Be able to use resources outside of classroom materials effectively.
3. Be able to critically evaluate scientific and lay literature.
4. Be able to use a computer to evaluate a diet for adequacy.
5. Be able to describe the processes of digestion, absorption, metabolism.
6. Be able to describe the basic chemical make up of carbohydrates, lipids and proteins.
7. Be able to list food sources of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins and minerals and explain the roles they have in the body.
General education/Related instruction lists