Fire Ecology and Effects
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Discusses the role of fire in Pacific Northwest ecosystems. Identifies effects on flora, fauna, soils, water; fire and cultural/visual resource management; fire and insect interactions. Covers the effects of fire on different forest and range ecosystems.
1. Students will demonstrate an understanding of fire as an ecological process using the concepts of fire regimes and first order fire effects at multiple scales.
2. Given an altered fire regime and a variety of socio-political issues and resource concerns, the student will be able to identify realistic management solutions in an adaptive management framework.
3. Students will be able to communicate effectively with fire and resource professionals based on a common understanding of first order fire effects.
4. Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of how fire management related resource issues interact.
5. Discuss how to manipulate fire treatments to achieve desired first order fire effects.