FR 101 : First Year French I
1st Year French I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
The first course of a three-course sequence in French. Emphasizes active communication in French. Develops students' basic skills in listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
1. Recognize basic sounds, words, and phrases when spoken.
2. Produce simple sounds, words, and phrases.
3. Read simple instructions and simple phrases in French.
4. Differentiate between the various written accents used in French.
• Introduction to French pronunciation
• Simple greetings and introductions
• Basic yes/no questions
• Numbers (1-60)
• Simple description of a person in the present.
• Verbs: to be (être) and to have (avoir)
• common regular –er verbs
• Introduction to French sentence structure rules
This course will use a textbook and handouts distributed in-class. Students will also be expected to access web-based exercises associated with the textbook.
Grades will be determined by weekly quizzes and homework assignments, in-class oral skits and presentations, short writing assignments, and an oral and written final exam.