Paris: City of Lights
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Examines the history of Paris chronologically from the founding of Paris to the present. Explores the political, cultural, and societal changes in 2,000 years of Parisian history. Examines the city from political, social, geographical, and cultural viewpoints. Taught in English.
Course learning outcomes
1. Analyze Parisian culture and society.
2. Explain Parisian history in the context of French history.
3. Consider the importance of social movements, revolutions, wars, art, and music to Parisian history.
4. Compare and contrast Parisian culture and society with other cultures.
I. Paris-The City of Lights
How Paris gained the title of City of Lights.
II. Paris, a political capital
Constructing the Nation in Paris – republican statuary (V Republic); the clash of local and State leadership – strong City Hall and State construction projects in the city; a look back to revolutionary and rebellious Paris.
– Social ties and identity in the newly recomposed city. – Immigrant Paris, recent tendencies, the long-lasting impact of the culture of colonialism (visit to the Museum of the History of Immigration). - cafés in everyday life of Parisians.
-democracy, the role of the State, centralization and centrifugal reactions, forms of identity, the role of rurality, the importance of food and gastronomy, and various forms of protest, among others.
IV. Paris attracts
Paris as a capital of artistic creation in the 20th century, the avant-garde in Montparnasse in the 1930’s. Paris no longer on the cutting edge. – Paris for film-makers and photographers. – Paris in the context of international tourism to France, Paris as a subject and context for photographers and film-makers.
V. Paris and its surrounding towns
democracy, the role of the State, centralization and centrifugal reactions, forms of identity, the role of rurality, the importance of food and gastronomy, and various forms of protest, among others. -Rebuilding of Paris after recent devastations (fires, attacks).
Book on the history of Paris.
General education/Related instruction lists