2nd Year French III
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
FR 202, or one year of IB, AP French in high school, or four years of middle/high school French.
Continues the work of French 202, reviewing, expanding and perfecting pronunciation, structure and vocabulary for the purpose of active oral and written communication. Increasing emphasis on writing and reading skills. Incorporates culture, regionalisms, and argot; class taught mostly in French. Course should be taken in sequence.
Course learning outcomes
1. Narrate and/or describe in the present
2. Narrate and/or describe in the past
3. Discuss hypothetical situations
4. Express hopes, desires, and doubts
5. Make suggestions
6. Express opinions
7. Initiate conversation and/or questions
8. In non-technical terms describe, discuss or question the following topics: Current issues and Relationships: friendships, family, society
9. Social Situations – Use language that reflects an understanding of the cultural aspects of social situations (e.g., formal and informal ways of addressing others).
10. Linguistic and Nonverbal Behavior – Begin to understand the cultural messages reflected in linguistic conventions (e.g., various forms of leave taking) and in non-verbal behaviors (e.g., culture specific hand gestures and facial expressions).
11. Begin to recognize cultural differences and nuances between the numerous French-speaking areas of the world (e.g., France as compared with various African French-speaking countries.)
General education/Related instruction lists
- Cultural Literacy
- Arts and Letters