Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Hands on technique course focusing on preparing and preserving mammal and bird specimens for use in education and research. Students will complete a minimum of three projects which requires skinning and preserving wildlife specimens suitable for study and display.
1. Record proper morphological measurements of wildlife specimens.
2. Create a tag for museum specimens containing appropriate collection data and measurements.
3. Prepare a small to medium sized mammal museum specimen (study skin).
4. Prepare a small to medium sized bird museum specimen (study skin).
5. Clean and prepare a mammal skull as a museum specimen.
• Value of wildlife specimens
• Creating a specimen tag
• History of Oregon mammalogy
• Mammal study skin guide
Requires special gear, see syllabus for details.