Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Explores Central Oregon’s spectacular volcanic landscape. Meets for lecture followed by all-day field trip to volcanic sites in Central Oregon. Appropriate for non-majors.
1. Explain the fundamentals of volcanic processes, the volcanic landforms that result, and the hazards that volcanoes generate.
2. Apply the scientific skills of observation, interpretation, and hypothesis testing.
3. Connect volcanic processes and hazards to their personal lives, thereby becoming Earth science literate members of society.
• Volcanic Rocks
• Plate Tectonics Volcanism in Central Oregon
• Magma Volcanic Eruptions
• Lava Flows Volcanic Landforms
• Volcanic Hazards Volcano Monitoring
Field trips will occur in place of on-campus labs, with options to ensure accessibility for every student. Transportation will be provided.
Grades will be determined by exams, homework and field trip participation.
General education/Related instruction lists