Rivers, Lakes and Springs
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Explores Central Oregon’s water bodies with emphasis on their interactions with the volcanic landscape. Meets for lecture followed by all-day field trip to sites in Central Oregon. Appropriate for non-majors.
Course learning outcomes
1. Make accurate observations about geologic features.
2. Construct multiple working hypotheses about geologic features.
3. Test hypotheses by exploring the landscape for additional evidence.
4. Use labeled sketches to communicate an in-depth understanding of geologic features and processes.
- Volcanism in Central Oregon
- Hydrology of Central Oregon, including surface water (rivers and lakes) and groundwater (springs)
- Lava/water interactions
- Human/water interactions
Field trips will occur in place of on-campus labs, with options to ensure accessibility for every student. Transportation will be provided.
General education/Related instruction lists