Tourism And Recreation
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
WR 060 (or higher) or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 5.
Includes a study of various components of the tourist industry and an analysis of the economic and environmental impacts of tourism and recreation upon communities. Examines tourism and recreation in Central Oregon and in other selected parts of the world.
Course learning outcomes
1. Understand what types of businesses comprise the tourism industry.
2. Describe WHY people travel.
3. Determine the social, environmental, and economic impacts of tourism upon the destination communities.
4. Demonstrate the ability to analyze a location’s site characteristics and viability as a tourist destination.
5. Write an itinerary that meets the needs of a targeted tourist group.
6. Understand the impact of climate, culture, food and socio-political conditions upon potential visitors.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of key geographical terms related to recreation geography and tourism.