Map Interpretation and Design
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
MTH 060 (or higher) or minimum placement Math Level 10.
Looks at the world of maps. How to design, interpret and critique many forms of maps.
1. Understand, interpret and critique, various map projections and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each projection.
2. Selecting and using appropriate graphic symbols to fit the type of data being mapped: (e.g., hue, shape, size, value, location, spacing, orientation), and being able to combine these graphical elements to achieve objectives.
3. Have a basic knowledge of the history of cartography.
4. Interpret maps from both an analytical perspective and a design perspective, and explain the connections between the two.
5. Represent geographical phenomenon on a map with graphic symbols.
6. Critique the design deficiencies and strengths of various thematic maps.
7. Construct a choropleth map and compare the design components and the map message with other similar maps.
8. Design and Construct a playground map for the students of a local elementary school.