Wilderness and Society
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Cultural and historical overview of the changing attitudes toward wilderness as reflected through literature and the history of federal land legislation. Attempts to define the social and economic values of wilderness lands and where they occur geographically. A reading intensive course.
Course learning outcomes
1. Define the many different values of wilderness to individuals and to society.
2. Identify the historical factors that helped shape wilderness legislation.
3. Understand the complexities of the current debates concerning wilderness designation.
4. Identify the role of culture in shaping attitudes toward wild lands.
5. Assess the values to society of current wilderness designated lands.
6. Identify where important wilderness lands exist geographically.
7. Compare and contrast different writing styles of authors of wilderness writings.
General education/Related instruction lists