1st Year German III
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
GER 102 or two years of high school German.
Continues the development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Focuses on the dative case including indirect objects and prepositions governed by the dative, prepositions that can be accusative or dative, past tense using sein and haben, coordinating conjunctions, and comparisons. Students are encouraged to review the concepts of GER 101 and GER 102 prior to class.
Course learning outcomes
1. Comprehend spoken German using vocabulary presented during this class and vocabulary relating to the student’s personal interests.
2. Translate sentences from German to English and vice versa.
3. Handle a typical conversation in a restaurant, including discussing food, reservations, and payment.
4. Form sentences using the simple and perfect past tense.
5. Discuss and describe the weather.
6. Write personalized sentences in German using the vocabulary learned in class.
7. Use dative and two-way prepositions, declining articles and nouns that they precede.
8. Locate and identify cities and Bundesländer in Germany (and perhaps in Austria and Switzerland).
9. Memorize genders and plurals for vocabulary found in chapters 57 of the textbook.