Physical Science: Physics
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
one year of high school algebra or equivalent or concurrent enrollment in MTH 060.
Energy is used as the theme to develop basic understanding of introductory principles of physics. Energy topics include mechanical, acoustic, heat, electric, radiant and nuclear. Emphasis placed on practical application of various energy forms.
Course learning outcomes
1. Recognize the process of scientific inquiry.
2. Effectively communicate scientific concepts and data by multiple means.
3. Apply fundamental physical concepts to new situations.
4. Use mathematics to understand and solve physics problems.
5. Interpret data sets and graphs and draw appropriate conclusions.
6. Describe fundamental models and theories of physics.
7. Interpret fundamental symbolic language of physics.
8. Describe in scientific terms the interplay between the physics and societal issues at a local and regional level.
9. Demonstrate the development of critical thinking and analytic skills.
General education/Related instruction lists