HD 101 : Study Strategies
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces students to academic success skills essential for effective learning. Topics include: applied learning theory, growth mindset, academic reading, note taking, active learning, organizing study materials, rehearsal and memorization, time management, and test taking. Upon completion, students will be able to apply appropriate, researched-based strategies and techniques to develop an effective study plan for academic success.
1. Explain current research on learning theory and factors that promote college success and academic learning.
2. Identify, explain, and apply effective academic reading and note taking strategies.
3. Demonstrate effective, active learning strategies for information retention and recall.
4. Practice test taking skills and implement techniques to manage test anxiety.
5. Apply self-management tools.
Neuroplasticity and How the Brain Learns
Academic Reading Strategies
Reading Academic Articles and Research
Effective Note-Taking Strategies
Active Learning, Retention Recall
Test Taking Strategies
Developing and Implementing a Study Plan
Grades may be determined by in-class exercises, written assignments and journals, articles of learning and practice, quizzes and a final project with presentation.