Intro Exercise/Sport Science
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
WR 065 or WR 121 or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 9.
Introduces students to the profession of exercise science including an overview of basic concepts and careers in exercise physiology, athletic training, personal training, coaching, sports medicine, physical therapy and fitness management. Provides a comprehensive introduction to any student who is considering a career in the area of health, fitness, wellness, exercise physiology and sports medicine. Also, includes guest speakers currently working in the profession, as well as tours of local fitness facilities. Various fitness certifications are compared and contrasted.
Course learning outcomes
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health and fitness.
2. Understand the history of exercise sports science.
3. Identify current topics / issues within exercise sports.
4. Compare contrast various career choices within exercise sports science.
5. Identify impact of the roles of parents, athletes, coaches, team-mates within sport.
6. Articulate personal philosophy of exercise sport in the context of larger professional mission.
General education/Related instruction lists