HHP 259 : Care and Prevention of Athletic Injury
Care/Prevent Athletic Injury
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces management of athletic injuries, injury recognition and assessment, proper care and treatment of athletic injuries and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Emphasizes hands-on experience included for mastery of surface anatomy, injury assessment and proficiency in rudimentary injury care and rehabilitation practices.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health, fitness.
2. Define the role of an athletic trainer and the rest of the sports medicine team. Identify supporting professional groups to the profession.
3. Identify the basic risk management techniques during athletic activities including training practices, environmental considerations, protective equipment and taping and bandaging skills.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the basic pathology of an injury.
5. Recognize and manage an acute sports emergency.
6. Demonstrate a basic injury evaluation.
7. Identify specific sports injuries and conditions.
8. Discuss how therapeutic modalities are used for sports injuries.
9. Demonstrate how to use therapeutic exercise techniques for rehabilitation.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Science not Lab