HHP 262 : Exercise Testing and Prescription
Exercise Testing Prescription
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
The intent is to provide a practical guide for administering safe exercise testing as well as development of safe and effective exercise prescription for all clients including special populations. Specific content to be addressed includes: initial client consultation, risk factor classification, performance of hands-on exercise testing, prescribing appropriate aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, and resistance exercise plans, periodication, prevention of overtraining, metabolic calculations, legality including HIPAA laws.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health, fitness.
2. Recall necessary components of client consultation safely perform initial and periodic exercise testing, incorporating the results into prescribing exercise.
3. Recognize potential legal issues for fitness professionals explain how to prevent them.
4. Identify demonstrate safe and unsafe methods of resistance training, cardiovascular exercise, stretching for apparently healthy individuals special populations.
5. Prescribe safe effective periodized exercise programs for flexibility, cardiovascular, and strength improvement for apparently healthy individuals special populations.
6. Identify the purpose and components of periodized exercise prescription.
7. Perform mathematical calculations such as target heart rate zone, four heart rate training zones, as well as selected metabolic calculations.
8. Recognize signs and symptoms of overtraining and identify ways to prevent overtraining.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Science No Lab
- Foundational Skills/Health