HHP 270 : Sport and Exercise Psychology
Sport and Exercise Psychology
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 065 or higher.
Introduces broad range of topics relevant to sport and exercise psychology, including sport personality, motivation, psychological skills training, energy management, attention, imagery, competitive anxiety and mental relaxation. Content is relevant for coaches, athletes and others interested in the psychology of sport.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health and fitness.t
2. To develop an understanding of sociological and psychological factors related to human movement and behavior in sport and physical activity.
3. To read, synthesize, and critique existing scientific literature; and to discuss the status and ramifications for future research related to sport and physical activity.
4. To become acquainted with contemporary theory, research design, and methodology and analytical techniques appropriate to sport and exercise psychology research.
5. List at least 4 psychological variables (i.e.: anxiety, competition, personality, etc) and explain how they influence participation and performance in sport and exercise.
6. To demonstrate effective interventions and strategies for improving human performance and effectiveness in sport and physical activity.
7. List and explain at least 6 mental skills used by successful athletes.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Social Science
- Foundational Skills/Health