Beginning Rock Climbing
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides an introduction to rock climbing.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Tie a figure-8 follow through backed up with a stopper knot, a water knot (ring bend), and a double fisherman’s knot.
3. Safely belay a climber on top-rope, including use of appropriate belay commands.
4. Safely rappel using a figure-8 rappel device or tube style rappel device and a prussic back-up.
5. Analyze an anchor system for the key components of: solid anchors, redundancy, equalization, and no extension.
6. Safely utilize basic climbing equipment including a climbing rope, harness, carabiners and belay/rappel devices.
Types of protection
Water-knot, Double fisherman's knot
Rappel introduction and practice
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student. Harnesses, belay devices, and carabiners are provided by COCC. Climbing shoes are provided by Bend Rock Gym.
General education/Related instruction lists