HHPA 102 : Beginning Rock Climbing
Beginning Rock Climbing
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides an introduction to rock climbing.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Tie a figure-8 follow through backed up with a stopper knot, a water knot (ring bend), and a double fisherman’s knot.
3. Safely belay a climber on top-rope, including use of appropriate belay commands.
4. Safely rappel using a figure-8 rappel device or tube style rappel device and a prussic back-up.
5. Analyze an anchor system for the key components of: solid anchors, redundancy, equalization, and no extension.
6. Safely utilize basic climbing equipment including a climbing rope, harness, carabiners and belay/rappel devices.
Types of protection
Water-knot, Double fisherman's knot
Rappel introduction and practice
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student. Harnesses, belay devices, and carabiners are provided by COCC. Climbing shoes are provided by Bend Rock Gym.
Students complete journal/essay assignment highlighting any perceived effect of the respective activity on their health.
General education/Related instruction lists