Training for Rock Climbing
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides training for rock climbing.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Demonstrate competency of various climbing footwork techniques.
3. Analyze and perform dynamic movements specific to climbing.
4. Describe various training exercises used to develop muscular endurance, power, and strength.
5. Demonstrate the proper use of different training apparatus in order to minimize the risk of injury.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of common rock climbing injuries and methods for prevention.
7. Incorporate appropriate levels of stretching and core strength training required for rock climbing.
Syllabus review, goal setting, climbing assessment
Introduction to basic training concepts power vs endurance vs sustained power
How to project
Body position drills
Dynamic movements and training apparatus for dynamic movements
Core training for climbing
Common climbing injuries and exercises to prevent them
Flexibility for climbing- hyper vs hypomobile
Climbing and goal reassessment
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student. Harnesses, belay devices, and carabiners are provided by COCC. Climbing shoes re provided by Bend Rock Gym.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists