Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides instruction for backpacking.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of Outdoor
Activities to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Demonstrate clothing choices that will help keep a person safe and comfortable in an outdoor environment.
4. Promote, demonstrate, and participate in the “leave no trace” philosophy.
5. Execute safe travel techniques on and off backcountry trails.
6. Carry out minimum impact techniques for camping and wilderness travel.
7. Navigate by map and compass.
Introduction, to Backpacking
Clothing, equipment and footwear Preparation
Map Reading Compass Use
Useful Knots and Tarp Shelter Construction
Campsite Selection and Water Treatment
Leave No Trace Techniques
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
General education/Related instruction lists