HHPA 106 : Snowshoeing
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides an introduction to snowshoeing.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of snowshoeing to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Select proper clothing for safe and comfortable outdoor travel in winter environments and conditions.
4. Execute safe travel techniques on and off backcountry trails.
5. Carry out minimum impact techniques for wilderness travel.
6. Design safe and realistic trip plans for snowshoe day trips.
7. Properly use snowshoes and travel techniques in winter environments.
8. Explain the history and various designs of snowshoes.
Intro to snowshoeing
Equipment check lessons
Winter environment lessons
Leave No Trace
Winter safety lessons
Travel in backcountry
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health