Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides an introduction to snowshoeing.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of snowshoeing to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Select proper clothing for safe and comfortable outdoor travel in winter environments and conditions.
4. Execute safe travel techniques on and off backcountry trails.
5. Carry out minimum impact techniques for wilderness travel.
6. Design safe and realistic trip plans for snowshoe day trips.
7. Properly use snowshoes and travel techniques in winter environments.
8. Explain the history and various designs of snowshoes.
- Intro to snowshoeing
- Snowshoeing preparation
- Equipment check lessons
- Snowshoe techniques
- Winter environment lessons
- Navigation lessons
- Leave No Trace
- Winter safety lessons
- Travel in backcountry
- Shelter building
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
General education/Related instruction lists