Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides an introduction to backcountry skiing.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of backcountry skiing to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Dress appropriately for strenuous activity in a snowy backcountry environment.
4. Appropriately pack for backcountry travel (water, food, emergency gear, etc.).
5. Create a pre-trip plan that addresses risk management and emergency response.
6. Plan and use appropriate routes for efficient and safe travel in potential avalanche terrain.
7. Correctly use your backcountry ski or snowboard gear for safely ascending and descending.
8. Build an emergency shelter using the resources available to you on a typical day outing.
Intro to Backcountry Skiing
Required reading: chapters assigned
Asses gear, clothing, emergency kit; pre-trip planning.
Skinning techniques reviewed
Avalanche accident analysis
Snow shelter construction and alternative emergency shelters.
Pre-trip plan, review, prep and execution.
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists