Whitewater Kayaking I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides introduction to whitewater kayaking.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of Kayaking to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Demonstrate appropriate paddling techniques for various conditions.
4. Demonstrate clothing choices that will keep a person safe in a cold-water environment.
5. Promote, demonstrate, and participate in the “leave no trace” philosophy.
6. Explain and demonstrate river rescue by using a throw line.
Intro to Kayaking
Wilderness training techniques and equipment tour
Calm water practice
Balance and basic paddling strokes
Ferrying practice, peel outs and eddy turns
Swift water and white water training
River rescue and throw line use.
Whitewater and swift water paddling
Advanced wet exit practices
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student. Kayaks and pfd’s may be provided by the school.
General education/Related instruction lists