Whitewater Rafting I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides introduction to whitewater rafting.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of Whitewater Rafting to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Demonstrate clothing choices that will keep a person safe and comfortable in a cold-water environment.
4. Promote, demonstrate, and participate in the “leave no trace” philosophy.
5. Write and carry out safe whitewater raft day-trip plans as well as emergency plans.
6. Demonstrate and teach proper team paddling dynamics for various water conditions and situations.
Intro to Rafting I
Wilderness training and equipment tour
Practice session in boat guiding
River rescue session
Raft guiding practice and river running
Whitewater practice and rafting
Rafts and pfd’s are provided by the school.
General education/Related instruction lists