Wilderness Training: Beginning
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduces a variety of outdoor activities, which may include: rock climbing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, snowshoeing, caving, hiking, and cross-country skiing. Develops basic skills in outdoor activities and learns about appropriate preparation for participation.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of wilderness activities to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Select and use proper clothing and equipment that will enhance personal safety in various outdoor environments and conditions.
4. Demonstrate and participating in the “leave no trace” philosophy.
5. Demonstrate basic techniques required to participate proficiently and safely in non-motorized land and water wilderness activities such as rafting, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, rock-climbing, caving, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
Survival and shelter day
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student. Some equipment may be provided by COCC.
General education/Related instruction lists