Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Focuses on a blend of two modalities, with the flexibility of yoga and core strength training of Pilates.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and the fundamentals of yoga and Pilates to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Identify individual needs in developing a combined yoga and Pilates practice.
4. Analyze the historic background of yoga and Pilates and how/why the practices were developed.
5. Differentiate the mechanics of yoga posture flows and Pilates mat exercises and how the two formats complement one another.
6. Learn how to modify and adapt practice to suit individual needs by listening to their body’s intuitive feedback.
- Introduction to yoga and Pilates
- Applying the breath, basic warm-up movements from sun salutation
- Introduce ujjayai breath and guided three-part yogic breathing (Dirga Pranayama)
- Pilates ab series
- Ball work and exercises
- Restorative practice with legs-up-the wall series
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
General education/Related instruction lists