Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Focuses on a blend of two modalities, with the flexibility of yoga and core strength training of Pilates.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and the fundamentals of yoga and Pilates to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities
3. Identify individual needs in developing a combined yoga and Pilates practice.
4. Analyze the historic background of yoga and Pilates and how/why the practices were developed.
5. Differentiate the mechanics of yoga posture flows and Pilates mat exercises and how the two formats complement one another.
6. Learn how to modify and adapt practice to suit individual needs by listening to their body’s intuitive feedback.
Introduction to yoga and pilates
Applying the breath, basic warm-up movements from sun salutation
Introduce ujjayai breath and guided 3 part yogic breathing (Dirga Pranayama)
Pilates ab series
Ball work and exercises
Restorative practice with legs-up-the wall series
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists