HHPA 140 : Basketball
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
This activity class teaches all the fundamental skills and rules of basketball to all levels of basketball players. There will be an emphasis on team play.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of basketball to develop physical fitness and enhance sports activities.
3. Develop SMART goals based on your personal vision of wellness which includes: exercise, nutrition, basic fitness components and positive self-image.
4. Apply basic training principles to help achieve individual fitness goals.
5. Demonstrate basic basketball skills (i.e. dribbling, passing, shooting) performed while playing various offensive and defensive positions of basketball.
6. Articulate the rules of the game of basketball.
7. Articulate a well-rounded fitness program.
Introduction to basketball
Lay-up and passing skills, handling skills, rebounding skills
Skill building games
Full court games
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health