HHPA 156 : Pilates-Beginning
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Through Pilates exercises, this class familiarizes students with the awareness of core flexibility and strength, relative muscle groups and joint actions of the core. Students will learn Pilates vocabulary and training techniques, including specific stretching, as well as stretching for general health. Also provides proper sequence form for stretching, the slide, rings, exercise balls and weights for cardio and overall balance.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of the Pilates system of exercise to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Implement basic principles of the Pilates form of exercise: breathing, neutral spine alignment, core strengthening, axial elongation, oppositional engagement of the muscles in the body, and focused, fluid movement.
4. Demonstrate safe and effective use of basic Pilates equipment.
Intro to Pilates
Fundamentals of Breath, Neutral Spine, and Axial Elongation
Practice engaging the Core
Breath to Movement/
Light weights and stretchy ban
Articulation of the Spine with Core control
Prone/Spine Extension exercise
Flow of Pilates practices
Focused movement practices
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health