HHPA 157 : Pilates-All Levels
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Includes a brief review of Pilates fundamentals (proper spine alignment, elongation, thoracic breath and core control, including the use of appropriate Pilates equipment). Students will learn several sequences of Pilates exercises with appropriate modifications for all fitness levels.
1.Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of the Pilates system of exercise to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Implement the foundational principles of the Pilates form of exercise: diaphragmatic breathing, neutral spine alignment, core strengthening, axial elongation, oppositional engagement of the muscles in the body, and focused, fluid movement.
4. Explain the history of Pilates.
5. Demonstrate safe and effective use of Pilates equipment / props.
Intro to Pilates All Levels
Fundamentals of Breath, Neutral Spine, and Axial Elongation
Articulation of the Spine with core control
Basic 10 Exercises
Leg Exercises to Basic 10
Prone/Spine Extension exercises
Flow of Pilates practices
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health