HHPA 158 : Stretch and Relaxation
Stretch and Relaxation
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces students to progressive stretching activities and emphasizes the value of stretching to the overall relaxation process.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of stretching to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Demonstrate various forms of safe and effective stretches.
4. Explain basic anatomy as it applies to stretching.
5. Demonstrate the use of breath to relax.
6. Apply methods of relaxation when there are stressors and distractions working against you.
7. Work to your potential while preventing injury.
8. Apply safe and effective modifications of position when stretching.
Intro to Stretch Relaxation
Fundamentals and Diaphragmatic Breathing practice
Neutral Spine and Axial Elongation
Stretches for the Spine, Hips, Legs, Shoulders, Neck
Articulation of the Spine
Resting Heart Rate Monitoring
Sun Salutation practice
Healthy Nutrition studies
Physio Ball exercises
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health