Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Modified version of traditional Japanese Jujitsu and martial art sport that focuses on gaining a dominant position over an opponent. Students will learn proper techniques, using leverage, sparring and self-defense drills to gain self-confidence.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of Brazilian Jujitsu to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Improve cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and flexibility.
4. Recite Jujitsu rules and demonstrate proper dojo etiquette.
5. Explain Jiu-Jitsu’s history in America.
6. Demonstrate basic Brazilian Jujitsu positions, maneuvers and counter-maneuvers such as: mount, back mount, side control, guard, half guard, escapes, reversals, sweeps and submissions.
7. Explain Jujitsu competition rules such as: points, penalties, legal submissions and weight categories.
8. Apply self-defense techniques in a variety of situations.
Sweeps and reversals skills
Guard and guard pass skills
Submissions and submission defenses skills
Safe sparring techniques and strategies
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists