HHPA 176 : Masters Swimming
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Designed to strengthen swimming stroke skills to the advanced level. Introduces advanced concepts of fitness swimming. Prepares students for a lifetime of participation in swimming and racing if desired. Students will attend organized masters swim team practices. Previous swimming experience expected.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of swimming to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Enhance and maintain competitive swimming skills in preparation for competitive swims in pool swim meets or open water.
4. Improve on learned swimming skills and introduce advanced skills used in training to use as a lifelong skill and exercise activity.
Intro to master swimming and assessment
Front crawl stroke
Back crawl stroke
Swimming pool lengths
Intro to front and back and turns
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health