HHPA 177 : Swimming Fundamentals
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Basic swim instruction for individuals with limited to no swim experience. Learn basic swim skills (floating, breathing techniques, and flutter kicking), swimming theory concepts and strokes (front and back crawl and breaststroke) at your own pace.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of beginning swimming to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Demonstrate the fundamentals of swimming effectively with proper body position and propulsion.
4. Maintain swimming as a lifelong skill.
Dry land preparation and swimming assessment
Floating, front and back
Front crawl stroke
Basic front crawl stroke
Introduction to back crawl stroke
Introduction to turns, front and back
Swimming for fitness and swimming longer distance practices
Introduction to breaststroke and breaststroke swimming
Introduction to butterfly
Swim one mile continuously
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health