Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Covers the basic principles of weight training and proper use of weight room equipment and safety. The course includes a variety of weight training methods and incorporates core strength and flexibility activities. Students will develop their own weight lifting program throughout the term.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of weight training to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. List and describe the benefits of improving muscular strength and muscular endurance.
4. Develop SMART individual strength goals.
5. Create a realistic, safe, and effective individual weight training program to support the desired outcome goal.
6. Identify which muscles are acting during various weight lifting exercises.
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
General education/Related instruction lists