HIPAA for Practical Experience
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides a medical legal foundation for professional practice experience with respect to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), federal legislation enacted in 1996. Course focus is on the privacy and security rules of HIPAA Title II. This course is a requirement for enrollment in Professional Practice Experience (HIM 193).
Course learning outcomes
1. Summarize HIPAA Title II Privacy and Security Rules.
2. Utilize legal terms and processes that impact the privacy and security of protected health information.
3. Demonstrate adherence to confidentiality standards in HIPAA Title II Privacy and Security Rules.
4. Apply strategies related to HIPAA Title II Privacy and Security Rules compliance.
1. Introduction to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
2. Introduction to HIPAA Title II, Administrative Simplification.
3. Analysis of HIPAA Title II, Administrative Simplification, Privacy Rule.
4. Analysis of HIPAA Title II, Administrative Simplification, Security Rule.
5. Application of the Privacy and Security Rules as related to the Profession Practice Experience.
Computer and reliable internet access.
Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).