HIM 201 : Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health Care
Legal Aspects of Health Care
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides a medico-legal foundation with respect to laws and regulations affecting the health care industry. Special emphasis is placed on HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act). Topics also include: general law and ethics, bioethics, hospital and physician liability, medical staff bylaws, consents, and release of protected health information.
1. Examine law in general, including courts, legislature and administrative agencies.
2. Analyze hospital and physician liability and medical staff bylaws.
3. Identify and interpret issues and challenges in ethics and bioethics in the healthcare industry.
4. Analyze legal and ethical issues central to health information management.
5. Examine Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act (HIPAA) titles, specifically the administrative simplification components.
6. Analyze medico-legal issues related to information systems used in health care.
7. Identify major laws addressing healthcare fraud and abuse.
8. Identify specialized areas of concern in HIM (risk, quality, and utilization management).
9. Summarize law and ethics in the workplace.
1. Study of the law in general
2. Hospital and physician liability and medical staff bylaws
3. Ethics and bioethics in healthcare
4. Legal and ethical issues central to health information management
5. Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act (HIPAA) titles, specifically the administrative simplification components
6. Legal issues present in information technology
7. Healthcare fraud and abuse
8. Specialized areas of concern in HIM
9. Law and ethics in the workplace
Required textbook. Computer and reliable internet access. Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).
This class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.