HIM 272 : Management Principles and Leadership in HIM
Management Leadership in HIM
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides an introductory survey to management principles and leadership development in the Health Information Management profession. The emphasis of this course management theory, planning, organizational models, financial resources, and the interpersonal aspects of leadership and management.
1. Understand management roles in Health Information Management.
2. Demonstrate change management principles.
3. Explain general management theories.
4. Explain tools and techniques to assist in managerial planning.
5. Identify organizational structures in health information services.
6. Explain management of financial resources.
7. Examine leadership power and authority.
8. Apply the process of communication in the health care environment.
9. Develop rules, policies, and procedures for management in Health Information Management.
1. Management Roles in Health Information Management
2. Change Management Principles
3. General Management Theories
4. Tools and Techniques in Managerial Planning
5. Organizational Structures in Health Information Services
6. Management of Financial Resources
7. Leadership Power and Authority
8. Communication in the Health Care Environment
9. Policies and Procedures in Health Information Management
Required textbook. Computer and reliable internet access. Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).
This class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.