Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides a study of statistical terminology and health care data collection. Focus is on specific statistical analysis of common health care data, the use of percentiles, research and descriptive data presentations.
1. Introduction to statistics including terminology
2. Review primary and secondary sources and uses of health care data
3. Apply prior mathematical knowledge to statistical calculations
4. Analyze and calculate patient census
5. Analyze and calculate percentage of occupancy
6. Analyze and calculate length of stay
7. Analyze and calculate mortality rates
8. Analyze and calculate autopsy rates
9. Analyze and calculate morbidity rates
10. Analyze and calculate obstetrical rates
11. Analyze and calculate vital statistics
12. Examine basic research principles and presentation of data
13. Assess frequency distribution for qualitative and quantitative data
14. Contrast descriptive and inferential statistics
1. Statistical Terminology and Health Care Data
2. Frequency Distributions and Tables
3. Mathematical Review HIM Computational Applications
4. Health Care Facilities and Providers and Patient Data Collection
6. Percentage of Occupancy
7. Length of Stay
8. Hospital Mortality Rates
9. Obstetrical-Related Rates
10. Autopsy Rates
11. Morbidity Rates
12. Vital Statistics
13. Research and Graphic Representation Principles
14. Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
Computer and reliable internet access.
Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).
This class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.
General education/Related instruction lists