Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
MTH 015 or higher or minimum placement Math Level 7 and instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides a study of statistical terminology and health care data collection. Focuses on specific statistical analysis of common health care data, percentile use, research, and descriptive data presentations.
Course learning outcomes
1. Review primary and secondary sources and uses of health care data.
2. Perform statistical calculations.
3. Analyze health care statistics.
4. Examine basic research principles and presentation of data.
5. Assess frequency distribution for qualitative and quantitative data.
6. Contrast descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Statistical Terminology and Health Care Data
- Frequency Distributions and Tables
- Mathematical Review and Health Information Management Computational Applications
- Health Care Facilities and Providers and Patient Data Collection
- Percentage of Occupancy
- Length of Stay
- Hospital Mortality Rates
- Obstetrical-Related Rates
- Autopsy Rates
- Morbidity Rates
- Vital Statistics
- Research and Graphic Representation Principles
- Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
Required textbook, computer and reliable internet access, portable storage device (i.e., USB drive), calculator
General education/Related instruction lists