Coding Classifications I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval required based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides intermediate skill development in correct code assignment based on the health record documentation and application of coding standards, guidelines and conventions for the Current Procedural Terminology, and the International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification.
1. Apply Current Procedural Terminology service guidelines, conventions, and compliant coding standards for coding and reporting of health care services.
2. Apply International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification official guidelines, conventions, and standards for coding and reporting of the reason for health care services.
3. Abstract appropriate information from health record documentation and correctly code for healthcare procedures with Current Procedural Terminology codes.
4. Abstract appropriate information from health record documentation and correctly code for the reason the patient is receiving health care services using International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification.
5. Analyze requirements for compliant coding.
Format and structure of ICD-10-CM (International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification)
ICD-10-CM indexes (Index to Diseases and Injuries, Neoplasm Table, Table of Drugs and Chemicals, External Causes Index)
ICD-10-CM official guidelines for coding and reporting
ICD-10-CM Tabular list
Format and structure of CPT (Current Procedural Terminology)
Indexing in CPT
CPT Appendixes and Modifiers
CPT service guidelines for coding and reporting
CPT Category I Sections (E/M, Anesthesia, Surgery, Radiology, Pathology Laboratory, Medicine)
Required textbook(s) and the current year CPT and ICD-10-CM codebooks.
Computer and reliable internet access.
Knowledge Is assessed through graded exams, quizzes, assignments and projects; this class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.