Coding Classifications II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Develops advanced skills in applying the Current Procedural Terminology and the International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification. Introduces skills required for correct code assignment based on the health record documentation and application of coding standards, guidelines and conventions for HCPCS Level II, and International Classification of Diseases Procedure Classification.
1. Apply advanced coding to the Current Procedural Terminology code set with health record abstracting as the basis for code assignment.
2. Apply advanced coding to the International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification code set with health record abstracting as the basis for code assignment.
3. Apply conventions, guidelines, and standards for compliant coding in Healthcare Common Prodecure Coding System Level II and ICD-PCS code sets.
4. Apply correct code for the purpose of identifying additional services, supplies, DME, transport, and/or drugs used during the course of patient services and procedures.
5. Use the ICD-PCS code set to correctly code for the purpose of identifying the inpatient procedures that have been rendered during an inpatient admission.
Advanced coding using ICD-10-CM (International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification)
Advanced coding using CPT (Current Procedural Terminology)
CPT Category II and Category III
Format and structure of ICD-10-PCS (ICD-10 Procedure Coding System)
Indexing in ICD-10-PCS
ICD-10-PCS guidelines for coding and reporting
Required textbook(s) and the CPT and ICD-10-CM codebooks purchased in HIM 182. Current year HCPCS Level II and ICD-10-PCS codebooks.
Computer and reliable internet access.
Knowledge Is assessed through graded exams, quizzes, assignments and projects; this class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.