HIM 284 : Coding Classifications II
Coding Classifications II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides an in-depth application of healthcare classification systems (coding systems): Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Level II, International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification/Procedure Classification (ICD-10-CM/PCS).
1. Examine chapter specific guidelines for ICD-10-CM.
2. Examine section and subsection specific guidelines for CPT.
3. Examine general guidelines for HCPCS Level II and modifiers.
4. Examine inpatient procedure guidelines for ICD-10-PCS.
5. Apply best practices for abstracting from a patient record for reporting with classification systems.
6. Determine correct ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-PCS Level II codes according to official guidelines.
1. Chapter specific guidelines for ICD-10-CM.
2. Section and subsection specific guidelines for CPT.
3. General guidelines for HCPCS Level II and modifiers.
4. Inpatient procedure guidelines for ICD-10-PCS.
5. Abstracting from a patient record for reporting with classification systems.
6. ICD-10-CM codes official guidelines.
7. CPT code official guidelines.
8. HCPCS Level II code official guidelines.
9. ICD-10-PCS code official guidelines.
Required textbook. Computer and reliable internet access. Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).
Knowledge Is assessed through graded exams, quizzes, assignments and projects; this class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.