Pass/No Pass grades
Total contact hours
Instructor approval based on completion of first and second-year HIM curriculum.
Provides practical experience in a healthcare setting, under the supervision of a registered health information administrator or registered health information technician. Students report to an approved location and participate in activities related to HIM. Fulfills 60 hours (40 on site/20 off site) of 120 total professional practice experience hours required for program completion. P/NP grading.
Course learning outcomes
1. Adhere to AHIMA's Code of Ethics.
2. Demonstrate compliance with HIPAA and further rulings on confidentiality, privacy, and security standards.
3. Adhere to the mission, policies, procedures and other regulatory bodies as it relates to the organization.
4. Synthesize theoretical and reality-based work related skills and experiences.
5. Identify and apply the needs of patients/clients and physicians/providers.
6. Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities needed for second year competencies.
7. Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities needed for selected specialization.
Student placement in the health information management (HIM) field, referred to as a professional practice experience (PPE) is a CAHIIM-accredited program requirement and an important part of student education. In addition, PPE is a catalyst too career development. Each CAHIIM-accredited HIM program must have at least one PPE that helps students assimilate theory with practical application in order to work toward achievement of AHIMA entry-level competencies in a real-world environment.
This course fulfills 60 hours (40 on site/20 off site) of 120 total professional practice experience hours required for program completion. Practical experience provided by an approved location with oversight with a qualified supervisor. Required coursework assigned by the course instructors.
Computer and reliable internet is required.