Supervision in Hospitality
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Learn the management/supervision/leadership responsibilities in the typical lodging and/or food service establishment. Stresses leadership, communication, morale, motivation, training, team building, and employee development and retention unique to lodging and food service operations.
1. Demonstrate knowledge of federal laws that regulate equal employment opportunity standards.
2. Identify practices related to interviewing, hiring, developing and terminating employees.
3. Demonstrate communication and teamwork principles.
4. Critically analyze the role of human behavior (their own and others) within the contemporary professional environment.
5. Hypothesize with others to solve problems, manage conflict, and achieve goals while communicating effectively both verbally and non-verbally.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of the characteristics associated with professionalism and leadership.
• Management theories
• Leadership theories
• Planning, organizing, and goal setting
• Communicating effectively
• Equal opportunity laws and diversity
• Recruitment, selection, and orientation
• Performance Effectiveness
• Supervising teams, team-building, and coaching
Grades will be determined by weekly homework, midterm exam, and final exam; may include discussion, short essays, and in-class presentation.