HM 150 : Procurement, Ingredient Identification and Food Cost Control
Procurement Cost Control
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Learn the principles of cost control, product yield tests, vendor relations and procurement, and an introduction to ingredient identification and tasting. Exposure to profit and loss statements, and how to track cost as it relates to the flow of food. Place, receive and store food orders, conduct quality assurance on all food items, and execute an electronic end-of-month inventory.
1. Identify and describe a diversity of food ingredients and specifications.
2. Conduct professional vendor relations and assess vendor performance based upon service quality, product quality, and pricing.
3. Apply effective inventory control principles and par-stock management.
4. Analyze a profit and loss statement to identify disproportionate expense ratios and present operational solutions.
5. Describe the flow of food, food safety and handling practices, First In, First Out (FIFO) and appropriate food and beverage operational storage principles.
6. Execute product yield tests in order to purchase appropriate quantities.
• Purchasing quality requirements
• Purchasing quantity requirements
• Selecting vendors
• Ordering products
• Pricing decisions
• Purchasing ethics
• Vendor relations
• Ingredient identification
Grades will be determined by weekly homework, midterm exam, and final exam; may include discussion, short essays, and in-class presentation.